Who We Are
From Defendant to Defense Attorney
David Lee Windecher
David Lee Windecher is a trailblazing criminal defense attorney, author, and activist in the social justice movement to end mass incarceration, reduce recidivism and redress racial inequity in the criminal justice system.
David was admitted to the Georgia Bar in 2012 and the Florida Bar in 2014. David is a member of the Georgia and Florida Court of Appeals, the Georgia and Florida Supreme Court, the Northern District of Georgia United States District Court and the American Bar Association. David graduated Summa Cum Laude from American Intercontinental University in 2005 and received his Juris Doctorate degree from John Marshall Law School in 2012.
David started his legal career as an intern with the Dekalb County District Attorney’s Office, where he prosecuted misdemeanor and felony cases under the Third-Year Practice Act from May 2011 thru May 2012. While at the DeKalb County District Attorney’s Office, David invested the majority of his time into prosecuting cases under Georgia’s Criminal Street Gang Terrorism and Prevention Act. Prior to establishing the Windecher Firm, David was an Associate Attorney at the esteemed criminal defense firm of Arora & LaScala from November 2012 thru June 2015.
David specializes in record restriction (formerly termed expungement in Georgia) procedures, criminal defense (misdemeanors and felonies), DUI defense and juvenile law. In addition to his legal specialties, David is a continuing legal education (CLE) instructor on record restriction and criminal street gang expert testimony.
David Lee Windecher
David is a frequent guest on local and national television programs, radio shows and podcasts as an expert legal analyst.
A portion of David’s retainer proceeds from each of his legal representations are donated to the restorative justice non-profit organization Rehabilitation Enables Dreams (RED).
Do You Need Legal Help?
More than an attorney...
David is a best-selling author. He chronicled his life’s journey of transitioning from defendant to defense attorney in an inspirational autobiography – The AmerIcan Dream | HisStory In The Making.
RED is a restorative justice organization dedicated to keeping people out of the criminal justice system – permanently – through programs that enhance the social, civic and financial literacy of individuals referred to court.
Credentials & Awards
- Georgia 2012
- Florida 2014
- Bachelor Degree in Business Administration, American International University, Fort Lauderdale Florida, 2005
- Juris Doctorate Degree, John Marshall Law School, Atlanta Georgia, 2012
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Advisory Board Member of the Georgia Justice Project
- American Bar Association Member
- Georgia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers Member
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration DUI Detection & Standardized Field Sobriety Testing
- General Mediator State of Georgia
Awards and Recognitions
- Martindale-Hubbell Client Distinction
- 40 Under 40 Atlanta Business Chronicle
- 40 Under 40 Georgia Trend Magazine
- Atlanta Journal-Constitution Personal Journeys
- New Leaders Council Atlanta Changemaker
- Georgia Game Changers WSB-TV 2
- AIB Community Spirit
Carlton 'Cal' Lewis
Carlton 'Cal' Lewis - Intern
Cal is currently a law student at Atlanta's John Marshall Law School. Cal holds a masters in business administration, and is a graduate of Morehouse College in Atlanta, GA.